Monday, September 26, 2005

Stumbling Goat's Pastl

I just finished assisting the best cooking class ever. I felt like I was floating out the door after being in Matt Dillon's class. Matt Dillon up until a month and a half ago could be found at the Stumbling Goat Bistro, but has recently decided to foray into the restaurant business for himself. Unfortunately for us, it's going to be a bit of a wait; 20 Birds won't be opening until sometime next year in April in Capitol Hill. The class was a showcase of Matt's intuitive feel for flavors and timing combined with the specialty italian products imported by Ritrovo. I think the word 'heaven' sums it up nicely. The menu included:

Chanterelle, fresh corn, farro (spelt) soup,
Wild mushroom (lobster mushrooms and chanterelles) leek risotto with chanterelles harvested by Matt himself from his secret spots
Trofie Pasta Salad with walnut pesto, olives, tomato vinegar, flageolet and romano beans
Roasted Quail
Lemon chestnut honey tart

*sigh* I have no idea how to recreate the magic that was that meal, but I'll certainly have to try sometime. I feel inspired though to just play around with flavors.

No comments: