Thursday, April 13, 2006

Poop culture

Coffee beans - Picture from http://www.animalcoffee.com/

One of my sisters just left for Japan last week and she asked if my youngest sister, V, and I wanted her to bring back anything. V, who is much better at keeping up with all things trendy and Asian than I, has apparently requested ‘Golden Turd.’ V describes it as being a small golden good luck charm shaped like a spiraled poop pile. From what I’ve read, there’s something about a play on words with poop and good luck so Japanese school girls have been carrying around mini piles of s*** attached to their cell phones. I’ll post a picture if / when my sister returns with one.
In keeping with my blog theme, there is a culinary twist and it has to do with civets (a tree dwelling cat like creature) and coffee beans. It seems that there is a market in Japan for Kopi Luwak, naturally processed coffee beans with a process that I would consider completely organic. The story goes that civets ingest whole coffee berries and after digestion, release intact coffee beans that are then collected by harvesters to be sold for over $100/kg. Now that’s coffee with a kick!

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/articleshow/1486529.cms

No comments: