Thursday, November 03, 2005

2 sushi spots in one day

I had japanese for lunch and dinner today. The first was Sanmi Sushi right next to Palisades on Elliot Bay. BD and I shared hamachi kama, nabeyaki udon and crab temaki. The food was good and simple if a little unexciting. The egg for the nabeyaki udon arrived more cooked then I'd like, but the flavors were good. The crab temaki was real crab, and maybe it was the amount of mayonnaise, but it lacked the freshness that I've had with other crab sushi. BD mentioned that they may be going out of business, but I suspect that's due to low visibility. The restaurant seems to be just an extension of the Palisades building next door when seen from the street.

The second place I went to was Blue C Sushi in the University Village. PC and I went immediately after spin class still dressed in our gym clothes.

On a side note (skip to the next paragraph if you're looking for food stuff only and are easily offended), we're still puzzled by the gender of our spin class instructor who definitely had the physique and voice of a male, but went by the name of Heather. I think 'she' underwent a sex change, but PC wasn't sure and kept insisting 'she' is a 'he'. I think the telltale sign was that 'she' wore tight spandex and didn't seem to have the requisite parts for a 'he'.

Blue C Sushi is the exact opposite kind of place that Sanmi Sush was. Sanmi was understated traditional japanese. Blue C is trendy, hip, the waitstaff are dressed in sexy sophisticated NY black, and there's trance playing in the background with 2 large projection screens against the wall streaming j-pop videos. Blue C Sushi is kaiten sushi where patrons grab plates of sushi that circulate the restaurant on conveyor belts. I was actually impressed by how fresh everything was since I've been to other kaiten sushi places before and have not really been eager to go to another one. There's nothing intimidating about eating sushi here, all the plates have little signs underneath listing the ingredients and whether things are 'raw' or 'cooked' (For the sushi virgins I suppose). Items sampled included their spider roll, spicy tuna roll, shrimp tempura roll, sesame noodles, salmon, hamachi (very fresh), chopped scallop and unagi nigiri, gomae, and a dessert cream puff (which I'll pass on next time). All in all, prices were inexpensive for the quality of food since the bill for the two of us (~$40) was just about what we paid for lunch at Sanmi.

No comments: