Friday, November 18, 2005

new york city

Just arrived in NYC today after one rough flight with a screaming child in front of me. I've never really had thoughts about strangling children before, but after 5 hours of screaming I was ready to muffle her for good. On the flip side, there were 2 infants and a young girl who sat on either side of me with their parents and they were perfect angels the whole flight. I just hope I have better luck on the flight home.
I took the cab from JFK to my friend IW's place in the financial district and had an interesting conversation with the cab driver. He was basically criticizing how oversexed young women have become and how women share their sexual exploits freely now, be it menage a trois or 3am booty calls being made from the back of his cab. Having grown up in the 60s he thought that sex was ok, but with discretion. He thought it is a man's job to be the aggressor and if a women wanted to 'get laid' she could suggest it in a way without just coming out and asking for it a la Samantha Jones. Have shows like 'Sex and the City' done a disservice to women by making us believe that we can be emulate it's characters and still land Mr. Nice Guy who'll stick around for more than 2 seconds?
After getting to IW's we stepped out and I got my introduction to the NY subway system followed by dinner in Soho at Cafe Habana. We shared a plate of their spicy grilled corn sprinkled with cheese (I'd like to say cotija, but I'm not sure), fresh lime and plenty of butter - a steal at less than $4 for 2 cobs. It was absolutely delicious. I then had the corn hominy stew with chicken. Satisfying and perfect given the cold temperatures outside. I keep wondering why I've chosen to visit NY and Montreal at a time when it's colder than Seattle. More to report tomorrow....

No comments: